Facebook Account Data Is Vulnerable
Facebook is no stranger to the news. Just this January, they made headlines after settling one of their most recent legal battles, a class-action lawsuit filed in 2015 by Illinois residents who claimed the network’s face-detection technology was a breach of their state’s privacy laws. The case ended with Facebook paying out just over half a billion dollars, which was a small slice of the initial $35 billion threat.
This settlement came on the heels of a complaint filed by the Federal Trade Commission that resulted in Facebook having to pay out a whopping 5 billion dollars. The FTC states on their website regarding the settlement, “The $5 billion penalty against Facebook is the largest ever imposed on any company for violating consumers’ privacy and almost 20 times greater than the largest privacy or data security penalty ever imposed worldwide. It is one of the largest penalties ever assessed by the U.S. government for any violation.”
The complaint was filed following a yearlong investigation conducted by the FTC. This investigation had focused on the seemingly deceptive privacy disclosures that left many users unaware that their information was being shared with Facebook’s third-party “friends.” This data was primarily being used to inform advertising efforts, which isn’t inherently malicious but did breach a 2012 privacy order issued by the FTC.
Internal privacy concerns aren’t the only obstacle facing the social network giant: external hacks have also put Facebook under the spotlight in recent years. As we’ve discussed in previous articles, a massive security breach in 2018 resulted in 50 million user accounts being put at risk, with 30 million of those accounts actually being hacked.
Privacy Concerns For Users
As one of the network’s 2.2 billion users, you may be asking yourself, “Where does that leave me?”
Facebook’s priority is not you. I know that sounds harsh, but it’s nothing personal. The mega-company’s focus is on the profitability of its business model, as any successful company’s focus will likely be. Sure, they could be doing more to shore up internal privacy concerns. But on the other hand, the inherent nature of the vast social network makes it nearly impossible to avoid being vulnerable to external privacy breaches and attacks aimed at compromising user accounts and personal information.
A New Facebook User Solution
After years of experience working with Facebook’s advertising platform through his advertising agency Apex Current, fig social founder Corbitt Chandler recognized the need for better user support. Unlike Facebook, the primary focus of fig social is serving you. You are why we exist and why we continue to press into innovation and excellence in all that we do.
While our 24/7, on-demand Facebook Support is our core offering, we’re excited to be rolling out a new product very soon. We at fig social believe in doing all that we can in order to help you proactively protect yourself from the consequences of a Hacked Account. Meet SocialGuard, our forthcoming proprietary technology that allows you to back up data such as photos and videos from your Facebook Account to our secure platform where you (and only you) have access to your assets even if your Facebook Account is hacked.
SocialGuard Features and Benefits
SocialGuard boasts an impressive lineup of Facebook Account hack protection features, including the following:
- Immediate & 24-hour automated backup of your Facebook basic profile info, images, and videos
- You can select whether you want us to backup all of the above items or any combination (e.g. only pictures, etc.)
- All data is stored and Amazon’s Encrypted AWS Server which has the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) highest classification of data protection keeping your data as safe as it can get.
- Hack prevention notifications from our system that regularly tracks social media hack activity across the globe. This alerts you in a timely manner so you can change your login credentials and protect your account.
- Of course, you also receive access to fig social’s 24/7 Facebook Support services including live chat, access to our AnswerCenter, and more!
How SocialGuard Works
When SocialGuard becomes available, getting started will be a breeze:
- SIGN UP: It only takes a few minutes to start your free trial of fig social which gives you exclusive access to SocialGuard
- CONNECT ACCOUNT: You connect your Facebook account by authenticating through our web-based application
- SELECT ASSETS TO BACKUP: You select whether you want all of your profile information, pictures and videos backed up or any combination of those 3 listed
- FILE BACKUP: SocialGuard syncs with your account, immediately backing up these items which repeats every 24 hours
- WE’RE ON CALL: In the event of a mass breach event you receive Hack Alerts via email and/or text making you aware so you can update your login information
- WE KEEP YOU UP-TO-DATE: You’ll receive regular updates on the steps you need to take to protect your profile in the event of a data breach or hack
- PROTECTED 24/7 & ON-THE-GO: SocialGuard is a progressive web-based application so you can access it from any type of device, anytime and anywhere
How To Get SocialGuard
Gaining access to SocialGuard will be simple. We’ve decided to include it in our fig social membership it at no extra charge. So for just $2 a month, you can have access to our world-class on-demand Facebook User Support chat service and SocialGuard’s data protection service.
This is a deal that users simply can’t afford to miss. More and more, people are relying on social networks as safe storage for their photo albums as the popularity of printed photos continues to drop. All it takes is one malicious hack into an account and years of memories could be gone – forever. SocialGuard gives you peace of mind for just a couple of bucks a month.
The exact date of SocialGuard’s launch is still to be determined, but you can anticipate this being part of a fig social membership very soon.